Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You just said that?!

Here are two things I never thought I would hear from a teacher:

1. "The second time I heard the phone ring I figured out it was coming from Madeline" (she does not and may not ever have a cell phone).

2. "When I found her laying in a puddle with a big non-repentant smile, I had had enough."

Today has been a day about Madeline. Things are a little tough right now and rather than lamenting about the bad, I thought I would tell a story about her that makes me smile.

This was April 2006 right after we adopted Timothy. We were in the- go get things for new baby- mode with my mother-in-law. Well, of course, those things included photos of the trip to Ethiopia. While checking out at the photo place in Target, Madeline asked the person behind the counter, “Are you a boy or a girl?” The woman said, “I am a girl, of course” while looking at me with a, “can you believe this kid smirk”. Naturally, I said, “Oh sweetie, you are so funny!” Madeline then replied, “No you're not! You're a boy!” Me- “You must think that because she has such short hair (the tone of my voice said “shut up, shut up, shut up!”).” “No,” said Madeline, “it is because of your moo-stash!” Well, there you have it. Lila and I have never moved so fast. We tried to just laugh it off nervously and then get out fast. Of course, when we were out of sight, we could barely stand up we were laughing so hard! That is Madeline- she just says it (whether you like it or not- ooohh, maybe that is why we are here now).

1 comment: