Sunday, January 31, 2010

And the lesson is...

Oh Madeline…sometimes you are so funny and some times you hit too close to home. Today has been a rough day with Madeline as has the last little bit. She is having quite a streak of hard times and I don’t get it. Apparently God thought it would be funny (or something) to give me a little one that is totally different than me- behavior wise. I was a goody-two-shoes to the nth degree. Not to say that I did not get in trouble or deserve to at times, but for the most part I wanted to please others, especially adults. I was crushed every time I made my mom or dad mad, much less (God forbid) teachers! I lived (and still do) in a state of perpetual guilt over anything I may do or have done that might possibly make anyone else upset. Well, except my siblings. Seriously, how much fun would that be? Okay, back to Madeline. I am sure she probably feels bad and all that, but she does not seem to have the teeniest tinniest desire to make adults or anyone else happy. This is infuriating to me, I truly don’t get it; my brain simply cannot wrap around the idea. I mean, your main goal in life is not to please everyone and be every person’s favorite person? How can that be? So, today, after getting super mad for the 19th time about her doing random things or being rude or whatever (the final straw was when she got into our camping stuff in the garage and found the clothes line- it wasn’t pretty), I was done. I basically gave her an ultimatum that she better sit and watch a move while I went upstairs or she was going to go to bed for the rest of the day when I came back down. I may or may not have given her a good talking too as well. I sat her down to watch Annie and she said in a weepy voice, “Does this movie have a lesson?” I told her I didn’t really know (who can remember things when in a tizzy?). And she said, “I think it is that parents should not be rude to their children.” Cricket…cricket… Yikes, why me God?!

No comments:

Post a Comment